American Fish & Seafood has been servicing the Twin Cities and surrounding areas with premium fish, seafood, and specialty products for almost a century. We opened our doors in 1929 when traveling salesman Max Bialick came off the road and opened a small storefront fish market next to a family member’s grocery store in Minneapolis. Selling fish sourced from both coasts as well as oversees in a relatively remote, inland location was not common at the time; and customers loved the access to new varieties in addition to the lake fish they were accustom to. In the early 1940’s, as interest from local restaurants and re-sellers grew, the company shifted focus to specialize in wholesale distribution.
Progress and Innovation
Over time, growth forced the company to move several times and in 1987 we custom outfitted a state-of-the-art facility and moved into our current home in Minnetonka, Minnesota. In an effort to continue the tradition of quality products and customer service, in 1990 we were the first seafood company in Minnesota to implement a voluntary federal inspection program to help back-up our commitment to quality, transparency, and food safety. We are proud to have continued this program, uninterrupted to this day. This commitment has rewarded us with contracts as a preferred, approved, or exclusive supplier to national buying/hospitality groups, and a reputation as both a premier food service company (receiving the Minnesota Restaurant Association’s 2016 Allied Vendor of the Year), and trusted partner for local and regional retailers.